Start/Finish: Track Junction Grid Reference:NS 227 738 OS Map:Landranger 63 Distance:10km, 6 miles Time:3-4 hours Terrain:Rough Moor and Track This circular route encompasses rough moorland and woodland track. Binoculars would be handy as sightings of birdlife, wildlife and historical remains are guaranteed.The route begins at the track junction, 1km above Whinhill golf course. Parking is available on the grassy verge. Follow the track for 2km where you’ll pass Whitelee Cottage and an MOD mast before arriving at the foot of Corlick hill. Cross the stile then make for the trig point on the summit. Continue south east over the moorland for 1.5 km towards foot of the reservoir. Join the road and walk over the bridge towards Garshangan where the coniferous forest begins. At the track junction turn right towards Loch Thom, cross the bridge and continue on the road for 2km returning to the start. Iron Age and Roman settlement is scattered across the Greenock landscape. Look out for Lurg Moor Antonian Roman fortlet and road, a fully-enclosed Iron Age roundhouse settlement and abandoned 18th, 19th and 20th century farms. These features mark the story of Inverclyde’s earliest inhabitants and their connection with the Roman Empire. Bombs were dropped over Greenock in 1941 during World War II. Can you spot their remains? The views from Corlick hill on a clear day are magnificent. It captures Dunrod Hill, the Clyde valley, the Cowal peninsula and to the north the Arrochar Alps, Ben Lomond and beyond. Loch Thom reservoir and the Greenock Cut is an engineering masterpiece built in 1827 to transport fresh water to Greenock, enabling industry to boom and the population to thrive. The Greenock Cut Visitor Centre holds an interactive exhibition telling the fascinating story. Birds: Look out for hen harriers, meadow pipits and fieldfares on the open moorland; Curlews wading at the reservoir as well as, crossbill, coal tit and willow warbler in amongst the coniferous forest. NB map and compass skills are essential. The route can be started from multiple points on the Garshangan road.