Muirshiel’s tracks, trails and car park are open daily. Toilets and Visitor Centre currently closed.
Muirshiel Visitor Centre & Country Park, Calderside Road
Near Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, PA12 4LB Tel: 01505 842 803
For how to find us see Directions to Muirshiel
- Climb a volcano – a family friendly 1km walk up Windy Hill going up through mixed woodland before heading over the moor.
- Have a BBQ – hire the grill from the Visitor Centre – organise in advance if possible
- Spot the owl carving near Orblis Wood or run through the willow tunnels on one of the woodland trails.
- Watch for birds on the Visitor Centre feeders or enjoy a family friendly event with the Countryside Rangers – advanced booking on event days essential.
- Hunt for the Muirshiel Forest Folk.
- History and Heritage: The Shooting Estate – download the factsheet and or look for the remains of the 1920’s grouse railway (NS 303 674), built to transport shooting parties on to the moor
- History and Heritage: Barites Mine – download the factsheet for walk out over the moor along the Mine Track to the remains of the barytes mine (NS 292 648).
- Events and outdoor activities – look on the events/courses pages for details
- The Visitor Centre with refreshments and small gift shop is open at weekends in summer and by arrangement year round providing information on what to do and see
- Special Protection Area surrounds the Country Park because there has been an international important breeding population of hen harriers.
The woodland and heather moorland of Muirshiel provide great access for school trips and families to find out more about local wildlife and their habitats.