Top 5 To Do’s
1. Climb a volcano – a family friendly 1km walk up Windy Hill going up through mixed woodland before heading over the moor.
2. Have a BBQ – hire the grill from the Visitor Centre – organise in advance if possible
3. Spot the owl carving near Orblis Wood or run through the willow tunnels on one of the woodland trails.
4. Watch for birds on the Visitor Centre feeders or enjoy a family friendly event with the Countryside Rangers – advanced booking on event days essential.
5. Carefully play pooh sticks at the waterfall.
• History and Heritage: The Shooting Estate – download the factsheet and or look for the remains of the 1920’s grouse railway (NS 303 674), built to transport shooting parties on to the moor
• History and Heritage: Barites Mine – download the factsheet for walk out over the moor along the Mine Track to the remains of the barytes mine (NS 292 648).
• Events and outdoor activities – look on the events/courses pages for details
• The Visitor Centre with refreshments and small gift shop is open at weekends and by arrangement in summer providing information on what to do and see
• Special Protection Area surrounds the Country Park because there has been an international important breeding population of hen harriers.