Castle Semple Collegiate Church
A late gothic church, built in 1504 by John, 1st Lord Sempill. Although there is no roof, the church is well maintained by Historic Scotland. The church can be visited at any time and is located 2km from Castle Semple Visitor Centre, at the east end of Parkhill Wood not far from the cycle track.
More information is available on site or online .
A Scheduled Ancient Monument, it was built under the supervision of civil engineer Robert Thom in the 1820s to supply water from Loch Thom to Greenock. This helped enlarge the growing number of mills and waterwheel powered factories, fueling the industrial revolution in Greenock. A by product was a source of clean drinking water for the local towns folk. It was used as a water source until 1971. It has now been restored and had footpaths upgraded with Heritage Lottery Funding. The Cut as a 6 km walk is rated as one of the top 50 walks in Scotland, at the Greenock Cut Visitor Centre there is an informative exhibition.
Muirshiel is also home to historical features around its past as a grouse shooting estate and mansion. There is also industrial heritage in the form of the old mine workings. Comprehensive information is available on many of the Regional Park’s historical features, topics below.
There are a number of Park history factsheets available on our downloads page:
Aircraft Crashes in CMRP
History of Castle Semple Estate
History and Hydrology Castle Semple Loch
History of Muirshiel House & Shooting Estate
History of Muirshiel Barytes Mine